Baillargeon leads Panthers with individual shot put title
WESTFIELD, Mass. – The Plymouth State University women's track & field team had one individual c hampion and one third-place finisher Saturday afternoon as the Panthers placed seventh as a team in the Little East Conference and New England Alliance Championships, hosted by Westfield State University at the Jerry Gravel Track.
Sophomore Selena Baillargeon (Saranac, N.Y.) captured the LEC and Alliance championship in the shot put, repeating her title from the indoor season, and sophomore Ashley Bergeron (Berlin, N.H.) took third place in the 3000 meter steeplechase.
The University of Southern Maine took the team title with 190.33 points, comfortably ahead of runner-up Rhode Island College (115). PSU was seventh with 43 points.
NCAA Women's Track & Field
Little East Conference & New England Alliance Championships, at Westfield State University (Jerry Gravel Track), Westfield, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 29, 2017
LEC Team Scores: Southern Maine 190.33, Rhode Island College 115, UMass Boston 81.5, UMass Dartmouth 74.33, Eastern Connecticut 73.33, Keene State 58, Plymouth State 43
* Baillargeon (left) turned in an outdoor season-best performance of 11.86 meters (38'11") to win the shot put. Her mark ranks as the 11th-best mark in New England this spring.
* Bergeron took third in the 3000 meter steeplechase in a time of 12:50.90, about nine seconds off her season-best time set two weeks ago.
* Sophomore Nora Robichaud (Hampstead, N.H.) turned in an outstanding performance in the 400 meter hurdles. She finished in sixth place with a time of 1:07.78, which meets the New England Division III qualifying mark and stands as the 23rd-best time in New England this spring.
* Sophomore Diana Perez (Cranston, R.I.) also took sixth place in her best event, the long jump. Her mark of 5.04 meters (16'6.5") was just four inches shy of her career-best.
* Also scoring points for PSU in individual events were sophomore Haley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.), who was eighth in the 5000 meters in 20:10.82; and junior Rileigh Goulette (Saint Albans, Vt.), who was eighth in the 1500 meters in 5:06.44.
* PSU placed sixth in both the 4x400 and 4x800 meter relays in season-best times. The team of Robichaud, junior Allbanie Anderson (Somersworth, N.H.), freshman Rebecca Khimatian (Cumberland, R.I.) and Perez took sixth in the 4x400 in 4:21.58, and the contingent of freshman Eve Bagley (Holliston, Mass.), Goulette, and sophomores Jess Conant (Canton, Maine) and Jennifer Marcus (Eliot, Maine) were sixth in the 4x800 in 10:27.01.
* The Panthers will sent a contingent of athletes who have qualified to the New England Division III Championships next weekend, hosted by Williams College. The Panthers will have entries in some field events on Friday with the majority of the events taking place on Saturday.
-- 30 --