Panther victory sets up showdown Saturday vs. Eastern Conn.
KEENE, N.H. – Junior Megan Tingley (Natick, Mass.) filled up the stat sheet Tuesday afternoon as Plymouth State University defeated Keene State College, 13-6, in a Little East Conference women's lacrosse game at the Owl Athletic Complex.
In a rematch of last year's LEC Championship game, Tingley recorded a game-high five points on three goals and two assists, while also posting game-highs of six draw controls, five caused turnovers and four ground balls. Junior Sam Sullivan (Canton, Mass.) added a game-high four goals as the Panthers won their ninth straight game to improve to 9-2 overall and 5-0 in the Little East. Keene State drops to 5-10 overall and 3-2 in conference play.
The outcome sets up a showdown in the regular season finale on Saturday as PSU hosts Eastern Connecticut State University (12-4, 5-0). The winner will claim the LEC regular season title and the top seed in next week's conference tournament.
- Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Location: Keene, N.H. (Owl Athletic Complex)
- Score: Plymouth State 13, Keene State 6
- Records: Plymouth State (9-2, 5-0 LEC); Keene State (5-10, 3-2 LEC)
* The Panthers had a balanced offensive attack that included two goals and an assist apiece from senior Caroline Vonachen (Framingham, Mass.) and sophomore Kimmie Zuccaro (Townsend, Mass.), and one goal and one assist each from senior Kaitlyn Wilder (Framingham, Mass.) and sophomore Veronyca Daniels (Concord, N.H.)
* PSU senior keeper Meg Brault (South Windsor, Conn.) recorded 14 saves to earn the victory, improving to 9-2.
* Junior Taylor Farland finished with three goals and one assist for the Owls, while junior Tori Weinstock added one goal and pulled down six draw controls. Freshman Gabby Smith also tallied one goal and one assist, as junior Tara Kilderry picked up three ground balls and caused four turnovers.
* The Owls kicked off the game with two goals in the first three minutes from senior Kelly Chadnick and Farland, before the Panthers answered with three straight goals, including two by Sullivan, to grab a 3-2 lead. Keene State would get one back, as Farland connected with Weinstock, to tie it up at three with 15:04 on the clock, but Plymouth State finished off the half with a five-goal spurt, including two more by Sullivan and an unassisted goal from Vonachen with seven seconds remaining, as the Panthers went into the break holding a 8-3 advantage.
* The two teams traded goals to begin the half before Farland found the back of the net to cut the Owls' deficit to four with 27:21 on the clock. Neither team could get one the board for almost 15 minutes, but Plymouth State broke the scoring drought with 12:26 to go in the stanza, as Zuccaro fired off a goal to make it 10-5. Plymouth State carried the momentum with three unanswered goals. The Owls were able to score one final goal with 5:01 on the clock.
* The Panthers stopped a three-game losing streak to the Owls.
* Keene senior goalkeeper Alison Argiro started the game and made two saves in 26:53, before sophomore Anna O'Brien finished the contest and registered three stops.
Both teams wrap up the regular season on Saturday as Keene State travels to UMass Dartmouth for a 1 p.m. game while Plymouth State hosts Eastern Connecticut at 1 p.m. on Senior Day at Arold Field.
-- 30 --