Panthers wins opener as Miller improves to 7-2
FITCHBURG, Mass. – Plymouth State University and Fitchburg State University split a non-conference softball doubleheader Tuesday afternoon at Coolidge Park, with the visiting Panthers taking the first game 7-2 and the host Falcons winning the nightcap, 2-1.
Freshman Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) had two hits and two runs batted in and classmate Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) allowed just one run on four hits in five-and-two-thirds innings to lead the Panthers in the opener. Miller improved her season record to 7-2.
FSU senior Galen Kerr kept PSU hitters at bay in the nightcap, holding PSU to just one run on seven hits in seven innings, striking out seven.
PSU stays at the .500 mark at 12-12 overall while FSU is now 7-11.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at Coolidge Park, Fitchburg, Mass. – Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Plymouth State 7, Fitchburg State 2
Fitchburg State 2, Plymouth State 1
Records: Plymouth State 12-12; Fitchburg State 7-11
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State scored single runs in the second and fourth innings before blowing the game open with five runs in the fifth.
* Junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.) hit a one-out double to right center in the second inning and scored on Butler's single to right. Senior Emma Rhodes (Rochester, N.H.) singled home a run in the fourth inning to make it 2-0.
* Sophomore Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.) started the fifth inning surge with an RBI single up the middle; Butler added an RBI single; two runs scored on Fitchburg errors; and freshman Haley Birch (Salem, Conn.) capped the rally with an RBI single to left.
* After Miller shut down the Falcons for five innings, the home team got on the board in the bottom of the sixth when freshman Emma Campbell scored on a sacrifice fly by Kaylee Sylvester. The Falcons doubled their total in the bottom of the seventh when Emily Comtois singled to left field scoring Tori Cyrus who had doubled.
* Goss, Wood, Butler and Rhodes all had two hits apiece for PSU. Wood and senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) each hit a double.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* All of the runs in the game were scored in the third inning. PSU scored when Butler reached on an infield single, went to second on a wild pitch, took third on a single by senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.) and scored on a ground out to second by Goss.
* Fitchburg scored twice in the bottom half of the inning. Freshman McKenzie Lambert opened the frame with a walk and advanced to third on a perfectly placed bunt single from Samantha Woodman. Sophomore Damari Grossi followed with an infield single to plate Lambert for the tying run, advancing Woodman to third. With one out the Falcons would manufacture the lead run with a delayed steal play scoring Woodman.
* Morrissey had two hits for PSU.
* Sophomore Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) pitched four innings and allowed two runs on three hits, striking out four, but took the loss. Freshman Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) came on and retired all six batters she faced.
* PSU returns to Little East Conference action Saturday with a visit to Eastern Connecticut State University for a doubleheader beginning at 12 noon.
-- 30 --