Miller, Wood lead Panthers to non-conference sweep
NASHUA, Mass. – Junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.) had three hits with a double and three runs batted in Sunday afternoon in game two as Plymouth State University finished off a softball doubleheader sweep of New England College, 8-2, in non-conference action at Daniel Webster College's Eagle Field.
The Panthers won the opener in eight innings, 4-3, scoring two runs in the top of the eighth inning and holding off a Pilgrim comeback in the bottom half of the inning. Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) earned the win (6-2) for PSU with a complete-game effort, allowing just two earned runs on five hits and a walk, striking out eight.
PSU evens its overall record at 11-11 while NEC drops to 5-13.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at Daniel Webster College (Eagle Field), Nashua, N.H. – Sunday, April 9, 2017
Plymouth State 4, New England College 3 (8 innings)
Plymouth State 8, New England College 2
Records: Plymouth State 11-11; New England College 5-13
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State struck first as junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) lined a triple down the right field line to lead off the game and came around to score a ground out off the bat of senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.). The Panthers made it 2-0 in the fourth as junior Mary King (Lancaster, N.H.) reached base on a fielder's choice and came around to score on a two-out triple to right center by sophomore Kayla Nester (Fairfax, Vt.)
* NEC would get a run back in the sixth as Gabriella Marcheschi drew a walk and scored on a double to right center by Joslyn Gallagher. The Pilgrims knotted the game at 2-2 in the seventh as Taylor Dill came in to pinch hit with two outs and singled to right field. Alex Scribner reentered the game to run and after stealing second, scored on a single to center by Brianna Castallano.
* PSU plated two runs in the eighth as Morrissey scored on a single to center field by senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.), and Kennard would eventually score on a fielder's choice by Wood.
* NEC fell short in the bottom of the eighth as the Pilgrims scored Chanel Welch on a sacrifice fly by Gallagher but the Panthers would get the final two outs to secure the 4-3 victory.
* Both Kennard and freshman Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) finished game one 2-for-4 at the plate. NEC's Marcheschi was the only Pilgrim with a multi-hit game finishing with two hits, a walk and a run scored.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the opening inning, highlighted by a RBI infield single by sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) and a two-run double over the center fielder's head by Wood.
* NEC would get single tallies in both the first and second innings. Castellano opened the first with a single and scored on a Joslyn Gallagher single to center field. In the second inning Christine McNeil open the inning with a double to center field, advance to third on a wild pitch and score on a double steal. The two runs were all the Pilgrims could muster in game two.
* Plymouth State tacked on four runs in the fifth inning and one run in the sixth inning. In the fifth the Panthers would string together four hits with two outs, including a two-run single to right by sophomore Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) and an RBI double to left field by Nester.
* The final run of the game came in the sixth inning as Emerson led off the inning with an infield single and score off a fielder's choice by Wood.
* Seidner picked up the win on the mound for Plymouth State, holding NEC scoreless over two innings of relief, allowing just three hits.
* PSU returns to action Wednesday, April 12, with a non-conference twin bill at Fitchburg State University, beginning at 3:30 p.m. NEC will hit the diamond again on Monday, April 10 when they travel to take on non-conference opponent Lasell College.
(Courtesy of New England College Sports Information)
-- 30 --