Bolden, Brunnette post top finishes for Panthers
AMHERST, Mass. – Sophomore Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.) had several strong performances Saturday as the Plymouth State University men's track & field team opened the 2017 outdoor season with a fifth place finish at the Amherst College Spring Fling.
Bolden captured first place in the 110 meter hurdles in a time of 15.85 seconds, the eighth-fastest time in New England this spring. He ran the anchor leg of PSU's 4x100 meter relay team that finished second out of seven schools (44.27 seconds), and he capped off his day with a solid seventh place finish in the 100 meter dash among 22 sprinters in a time of 11.33 seconds.
Sophomore Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) had a strong outdoor debut after competing at the NCAA Indoor Championships last month. He was the top college runner and second overall in the 5,000 meters, finishing behind only Dan Crowley, a former Amherst runner who was competing unattached. Brunnette's time of 14:57.53 is the fourth fastest time in New England this spring.
PSU finished fifth in the team standings, behing WPI, Amherst, Brandeis and Williams and ahead of Connecticut College, Wesleyan, Trinity, Middlebury and Hampshire.
NCAA Men's Track & Field
Amherst College Spring Fling, at Lehrman Stadium, Amherst, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 8, 2017
Team Scores: WPI 148, Amherst 79, Brandeis 42, Williams 37, Plymouth State 34.5, Conn. College 33, Wesleyan 17.5, Trinity 17, Middlebury 16, Hampshire 2
MORE PSU HIGHLIGHTS
* Freshman Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.) placed sixth in the 200 meters in 23.05 seconds. His time reached the Little East Conference Championships qualifying mark and fell just .05 shy of the New England Division III Championships.
* Sophomore Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) and freshman Noah Byington (Hanscomb AFB, Mass.) reached Little East Conference qualifying marks in the 1500 meters, Bartlett placing sixth out of 44 runners in 4:11.32 and Byington 31st in 4:28.77.
* PSU had three LEC qualifiers in the 110 meter hurdles – Bolden and freshmen Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.) and Chris Parenteau (Thetford Center, Vt.) Bassett finished fifth in 16.65 seconds and Parenteau was eighth in 17.85.
* The Panthers finished runner-up in the 4x100 meter relay, with Bassett, freshman Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.), Rosario and Bolden recording a time of 44.27 seconds.
* PSU had four triple jumpers who met the LEC qualifying standard and all finished in the top eight in the event. Freshman Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) was fourth with a mark of 12.28 meters (40'3.5"), just ahead of classmate Alex Van Vliet (Saybrook, Conn.), who was fifth with a 12.27 meters (40'3.25"). Sophomore Matt Kennedy (Billerica, Mass.) was seventh in 11.56 meters (37'11.25") and Bassett was eighth in 11.51 meters (37'9.25").
* Davies took second place among seven competitors in the pole vault with a mark of 3.75 meters (12'3.5"), which meets the LEC qualifying standard. He hit the mark of his first attempts but missed all three tries at 3.90 meters.
* Junior Dean Squires (Derry, N.H.) led a group of four Panthers in the javelin, placing eighth with a Little East qualifying mark of 47.52 meters (155'11").
* The Panthers continue the outdoor season next Saturday (Apr. 15) at the annual Eric Loeschner Memorial meet, hosted by Fitchburg State University (10 a.m.)
-- 30 --