Panthers explode for 28 runs in doubleheader
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University baseball team scored 28 runs on 31 hits Wednesday afternoon and swept a non-conference doubleheader from Lyndon State College at Panther Park, 14-2 and 14-1.
It was a 15-hit attack for the Panthers in the opener, led by sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) and freshman Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.), who had three hits apiece. Goulet had two doubles and a home run in the outing while Salta had a double and a home run and drove in five.
PSU came back with 16 hits in the nightcap, which was ended after five innings. Goulet had three more hits, including a double and a triple, sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) had three hits and three RBI, and senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) drove in four runs and tied a school record with three doubles in one game.
PSU, 18-18 overall, wraps up the regular season Thursday on Senior Day at Panther Park, hosting Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference doubleheader beginning at noon.
NCAA College Baseball – Non-conference
at Panther Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Plymouth State 14, Lyndon State 2
Plymouth State 14, Lyndon State 1 (5 innings)
Records: Plymouth State 18-18; Lyndon State 22-18
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) went 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI for PSU, and Richard also had two hits.
* PSU took the lead in the second inning on Salta's three-run home run, his second of the season. After Lyndon got on the board with a run in the third, PSU blew it open with four runs in the fourth. Goulet hit an RBI double down the left field line, and Garnett blasted a three-run homer, his third of the year.
* The Panthers put another crooked number on the board in the sixth inning with seven runs. Highlights included an RBI double by junior Nate Frederick (Worcester, Mass.), a two-run double by Salta, and a home run by Goulet, his first of the spring.
* Freshman Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) earned the win for PSU (3-0), pitching five innings and allowing two runs (one earned) on five hits and five walks, striking out three.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Garnett doubled and added three RBI, and now shares the Little East Conference lead with 41 RBI.
* PSU plated two runs in each of the first two innings and blew the game open with five runs in the third. A Krajewski sac fly and a Frederick RBI single put the Panthers on the board in the first inning, Krajewski's RBI double made it 4-0 in the second, and RBI hit by freshman Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.), Richard, and Krajewski highlighted the third inning rally.
* The Panthers had one more big inning before the day was done with five runs in the fifth. Garnett had a three-run double, Krajewski added an RBI double, and Cook rounded out the scoring with a sacrifice fly.
* Junior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) recorded the victory for PSU with a complete-game effort, working five innings and surrendering one run on four hits and two walks, striking out nine.
* PSU wraps up the regular season Thursday afternoon on Senior Day at Panther Park as the Panthers host Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference doubleheader beginning at noon. The games were scheduled for Friday but moved up a day due to expected rain.
* Lyndon State has completed the regular season and has secured a spot in the North Atlantic playoffs, which begin Saturday at Castleton University. The Hornets are the No. 3 seed and will meet No. 2 seed New England College Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
-- 30 --