Richard, Ruziak, Larson provide highlights fo Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Jake Shapiro hit his first career home run in the third inning and earned his third save of the season with a shutout ninth Monday afternoon as the Bates baseball team defeated Plymouth State University, 6-5, in a non-conference game at Panther Park.
Sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) hit a pair of doubles and walked twice to lead the Panthers, and junior Cam Ruziak (Sterling, Mass.) had two hits and an RBI. Junior Brady Larson (Brunswick, Maine) pitched 4.1 impressive innings of scoreless relief for PSU, allowing just three hits and a walk and striking out five.
Bates improves its record to 13-8, while PSU slips to 13-14. The teams will meet again this Sunday, Apr. 30, in a doubleheader in Lewiston, Maine.
NCAA College Baseball – Non-Conference
at Panther Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Monday, April 24, 2017
Bates 6, Plymouth State 5
Records: Plymouth State 13-14; Bates 13-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
* The teams traded runs early, with senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) hitting a sac fly for PSU in the bottom of the first and Eric Vilanova singling in a run for Bates in the top of the second. The Bobcats took the lead for good with four runs in the third inning as Shapiro homered, Brendan Fox knocked in a run with a single to center, a passed ball and an infield grounder accounted for the Bates runs.
* The Panthers halved Bates' lead with two runs in the bottom of the third. Senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) hit a two-out double to score Richard from first base, and sophomore Ryan Boldwin's (Manchester, N.H./Trinity) single scored Krajewski.
* Shapiro scored again in the fourth, drawing a walk and moving to second on McCarthy's two-out single. Fox then singled to left to score Shapiro for a 6-3 Bates lead.
* Ruziak singled in the sixth, took two bases on freshman Andrew Salta's (Laconia, N.H.) single, then came home on a failed pickoff attempt to cut the lead to 6-4. Ruziak's sacrifice fly to left in the bottom of the eighth scored pinch runner James Salta (Laconia, N.H.), but Bates reliever Miles Michaud (Madison, Conn.) preserved the one-run lead, inducing two straight groundouts to end the inning.
* Shapiro, who started the game in right field, came on to pitch the ninth and struck out the leadoff hitter. Shapiro walked Richard, but Richard was thrown out trying to steal and Garnett's fly to center field ended the game.
* Sophomore Justin Foley (Lynnfield, Mass.) started the game for Bates and raised his record to 3-0, departing after five innings with the Bobcats ahead 6-3. Sophomore starter Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) took the loss for PSU after allowing six runs in 3.2 innings.
* Plymouth State and Keene State are scheduled to play the second half of their Little East Conference season series Tuesday at Panther Park at 3:30 p.m., weather permitting. PSU also has a non-conference doubleheader at Middlebury on tap for Wednesday. Bates next hosts Southern Maine on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.
(Contributions from Bates Sports Information)
-- 30 --