Krajewski, Boldwin hit home runs for Panthers
NASHUA, N.H. – Senior Jarek Krajewski (Cranston, R.I.) and sophomore Ryan Boldwin (Manchester, N.H.) hit home runs Thursday evening to lead Plymouth State University past Rivier University, 13-2, in a non-conference baseball contest at Historic Holman Stadium.
Boldwin hit a solo shot over the right field wall in the third inning and Krajewski capped a six-run rally in the fourth inning with a three-run blast to right as well. The dingers helped the Panthers climb above .500 at 12-11 overall, while the loss sends the Raiders to a 1-23 mark.
Sophomore Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) had four hits to lead a 14-hit output from the Panthers. Sophomore Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) had three hits and two runs batted in, while Krajewski and senior James Garnett (Newport, R.I.) knocked in three runs apiece.
NCAA College Baseball – Non-conference
at Holman Stadium, Nashua, N.H. – Thursday, April 20, 2017
Plymouth State 13, RIvier 2
Records: Plymouth State 12-11; Rivier 1-23
* Goulet single-handedly gave PSU a 1-0 lead in the second inning when he walked, stole second and third and scored on a balk. Garnett drove in a run with a sacrifice fly and Boldwin's second home run of the season made it 3-0 in the third inning, and the Panther blew the game open with six runs in the fourth. After PSU scored one run on a Rivier error, Garnett and Boldwin each had RBI singles to left and Krajewski capped the inning with his second homer of the season and fifth of his career.
* Garnett singled up the middle to drive in a run in the fifth inning and Garnett added another sacrifice fly to push the Panther lead to 11-0, and PSU added solo runs in the sixth and eighth innings on RBI singles by Goulet.
* The Raiders scored both their runs in the bottom of the eighth without a hit on three walks, a fielder's choice and a PSU throwing error. Rivier finished the game with six hits from six different players.
* Freshman Tyler Brown (Littleton, N.H.) earned his first collegiate win on the mound for PSU as the right-hander threw five scoreless innings, surrendering just three hits while striking out six. Junior Ty Seaton (Providence, R.I.) suffered his third loss of the year as he went four innings allowing two earned runs on seven hits while walking four.
* After 23 games away from their home field, the Panthers will play their home opener this Saturday with a Little East Conference doubleheader against the University of Southern Maine, beginning at noon at Panther Park.
* The Raiders will have their season on the line Saturday when they travel to the New England Baseball Complex for a 3 p.m. Great Northeast Athletic Conference doubleheader with Anna Maria College. A pair of wins, coupled with some help from the other GNAC schools, could place the Raiders on a verge of sneaking into the GNAC Tournament.
(Contributions from Rivier Sports Information)
-- 30 --